We take your privacy seriously
To protect your personal information, Sisters in the City PTY LTD staff must follow the privacy principles contained in the Information Privacy Act 2009 (Qld) (IP Act), which include the nine National Privacy Principles and provisions regarding contracted service providers and the transfer of personal information out of Australia.
- Personal information is any information or an opinion (whether true or not) about Sisters in the City PTY LTD clients, staff or stakeholders.
- Personal information may range from the very sensitive (e.g. medical history or condition) to the everyday (e.g. address and phone number).
- Sisters in the City PTY LTD will only collect personal information necessary for the purposes of processing requests its participants or stakeholders make of it; offering you products or services.
- Personal information includes sensitive information.
- Sensitive information is a special category of personal information. It is information or opinion about your: racial or ethnic origin, political opinion, membership of a political association or religious beliefs, affiliations or philosophical beliefs, membership of a professional or trade association or membership of a trade union, sexual preferences or practices, criminal record, health or disability (at any time), and/or expressed wishes about the future provision of health services.
- Sensitive information includes personal information collected to provide a health service.
In accordance with other laws such as Anti-Discrimination, Sisters in the City PTY LTD will only seek to collect sensitive information (for example health information or information about participants or employee’s racial or ethnic origin or any criminal record), if it is in the view of Sisters in the City PTY LTD that it is necessary for the delivery of services or our business purpose (for example, complying with legislation).
The type of personal information Sisters in the City PTY LTD may collect and hold includes (but is not limited to):
- Stakeholder contact information such as full name, e-mail address, current postal address and phone numbers;
- Stakeholder date of birth;
- Relevant payment or billing information (including bank account details, credit card details, billing address and invoice details) if you are requesting or providing goods or services from or to Sisters in the City PTY LTD;
- Sensitive information can, in most cases, only be disclosed with the individuals consent that they pertain to.
Information we collect hold and use
- Information provided within applications for employment with Sisters in the City PTY LTD;
- Responses to questions or queries that Sisters in the City PTY LTD may ask its clients or staff;
- Information given when we are soliciting a new program participant
- Information required to improve the services and information we provide.
How information is used and disclosed
- We do not sell, rent or trade the information that we collect. Sisters in the City PTY LTD may use and disclose your personal information for the primary purpose for which it is collected.
- We will only disclose certain information if the disclosure is required or authorised by law or the disclosure is necessary for the business of Sisters in the City PTY LTD.
- You consent to Sisters in the City PTY LTD, its contractors, employees, volunteers, agents and third party service providers using and disclosing your personal information for the primary purpose for which it was collected or for:
verifying your identity;
- your actual or possible work placement;
- our management of any complaint, feedback, investigation or inquiry in which you are involved;
any insurance claim or proposal that requires disclosure of your personal or sensitive information;
- to support the needs of the service user;
- fund raising, including processing donations, providing receipts and the administration and management of donations;
- providing goods and services to you;
- asking for your participation in our campaigns;
- improving our web site and any goods or services provided by Sisters in the City, including contacting you about those improvements and asking you to participate in surveys;
- direct marketing by, or on behalf of, DSA, including in relation to events, conferences and promotional activities (including by direct mail, telemarketing, e-mail, SMS and MMS messages);
- providing information on our compliance with applicable laws, and;
- any other matters reasonably necessary to facilitate the primary purpose for which the personal information was collected.
- It is the policy of Sisters in the City PTY LTD to only to send e-mails to customers who give us permission to do so. You hereby consent to Sisters in the City PTY LTD sending you e-mails. If you do not wish to receive emails, replying to any email sent by Sisters in the City and requesting not to be sent email will stop this form of communication.
How to gain access to your information
- Participants have a right to see and have a copy of personal and sensitive information about them that Sisters in the City PTY LTD holds.
Sisters in the City PTY LTD will use our reasonable endeavours to ensure that:
- your personal information is accurate, complete and up to date and relevant for the purpose for which it was collected;
- your personal information is protected from misuse, loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure, and;
- your personal information that is no longer needed for any authorised purpose is destroyed or permanently de-identified where it is legal and reasonable to do so.
- If you are able to establish that personal or sensitive information that we hold about you is not accurate, complete and up-to-date, Sisters in the City PTY LTD will take reasonable steps to correct it so that it is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
- If we are unable to agree that personal or sensitive information that we hold about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date, you may ask us to place with the information a statement by you that claims that particular information is not accurate, complete and up-to-date.
- In some cases Sisters in the City PTY LTD may impose a moderate charge for providing access to personal or sensitive information, where the request creates a cost burden Sisters in the City PTY LTD. We will not charge you simply because of a request for access.
How information is stored and protected
- Sisters in the City PTY LTD requires all employees as part of their employment contract to respect the confidentiality of personal information and the privacy of customers and stakeholders.
- We will take steps to protect personal information held by Sisters in the City PTY LTD from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure, for example, by use of physical security and restricted access to electronic records. We will store personal information for a reasonable period of time necessary for us to provide services as required by law.